Tuesday, September 11, 2007

WeeWar iGoogle Gadget

I play WEEWAR... Probably more than I should!

And to satisfy this addiction, I've built an iGoogle gadget to allow me to check my progress directly from my iGoogle homepage.

This initial release offers the basics of your public user profile, your win/loss/draw record and current rating. It allows lists your current (public) games and alerts you if it is your turn. I'm currently working on improving the Ajax requests to minimise load times and the visual feedback when the games refresh. I'll have that up shortly and hopefully your installed version will update within 2-3 days.

UPDATE: I've improved the load times and DOM manipulation of the games list so there's less annoying refreshing going on. Still waiting on the API update to allow me to get more regularly updated requests from the Weewar servers, so that will be active soon.

Google + WEEWAR = Peace on Earth!



To embed this gadget in your own website/blog, click here.

If you have any feedback or ideas, let me know and I'll do what I can. I've just had a request to build a NetVibes version, so I'll look into that and see what I can come up with.

Ben

11 comments:

Alexander said...

Hi - where can I find the embed code to add it to a blog (like you are doing it here) rather than iGoogle. Any tips?

Ben Petro said...

Hi Alexander,

Try using this tool to embed the gadget.

Let me know how you go.

Ben

duckster said...

Hi,

great widget, but it doesnt show private games. i guess you need to implement the API token to read out all games.

Ben Petro said...

Hi duckster,

As the widget is displayed publicly on other websites/blogs, and not only on your own personal iGoogle page, I decided not to display private games, as this would defeat the purpose. Also, I'm a little hesitant to trust the majority of users to know what an API token is and where they can find it, as easy as it seems to us!

I'll think about it though.

James said...

Could you slim the gadget down a bit? It's seriously the biggest thing on my iGoogle page.

Even just removing the user's name and profile image would help. I mean, it's not like I'm going to forget who I am.

Ben Petro said...

Hi James,

I've added a new Setting for 'Display Profile Pic'. If you set this to No, the pic will disappear and you'll have more space. In regard to the width, the default width is 260px, however iGoogle scales this according to the layout of your page. Ie, 1,2,3 or 4 columns. So, the gadget will be the same width as all other gadgets on your page.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sebastian said...

Hi,

the gadget doesn't work anymore. Is there any chance for a fix?

Greetings
Sebastian

Ben said...

There was a small change to the API which broke the gadget. I've fixed it now, so it may take a day or two to update on your sites.

Sebastian said...

It works! Thanks a lot. I like this gadget very much.

donagel said...

okay, at the risk of sound moronic, I can't for the life of me figure out how to change the gadget to show MY weewar information.

Ben said...

Hi donagel,

That depends on how you're using it. If you're using iGoogle, then you can change the username in the Settings tab. (Small triangle at top right).

If you're embedding it into your own site/blog, by using this link, you can change your username in the settings at the bottom.

Good luck,
Ben